Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lovin' the Library

I am LOVING the Library for the boys. Mind you, at this stage of the game (particularly with the newly acquired walking cast on my left foot) it's a whole lot easier to make the trek to the Library on my own instead of trying to keep two two-year-olds from de-shelving all the books in the children's section. At the same time, we're finding it an incredible resource for my rather frugal ways... although I do keep adding to my "must buy" list of favourites that I'd like them to own.

One of the best things about the Library is that I really take notice of their favourite books, since I end up having to check them out again and again as they're requested by the boys over and over once they've already been returned. Here is our Library List of late:

The Napping House, by Audrey Wood (anything that talks about sleeping works for Sam)
I am a Little Giraffe (or monkey or Alligator or Bear or Duck etc...) by Francois Crozat
Shoes, by Elizabeth Winthrop
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, by Eric Carle (Ben's personal fave)
Hermie's Bugginings: Colours, by Max Lucado (taught them colours quicker than anything else did )
Goodnight, Goodnight Sleepyhead, by Ruth Krauss (we've been reading them this one since they were tiny and it's still a favourite)

Most of all, I love that it is instilling in them a love of books, which I hope will eventually grow to become a love of reading on their own some day. There is something to be gained when you read a good book; a story that can touch your soul and stay with you the rest of your days. I hope this is something they experience as the years go on and the stories eventually pass from hearing my words to reading their own.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I always wanted to be the lady at the library who scanned the books... still do!
    I'm glad you're taking them. I read recently that kids should have their own library card to make it special :)

    ReplyDelete