Sunday, October 25, 2009

Homeschool-ish Sort-of-Preschool


Circle Time, hands-on directed activity, songs, finger play, puzzles, painting, playdough . . . I have changed my parenting philosophy and am reaping the rewards already. My boys are calmer (more often), my home is quieter (sometimes) and I am a whole lot less frazzled (usually). I have my sisters to thank for this whole new attitude adjustment; my two homeschooling, innovative, creative sisters. They are inspiring.

I have watched and learned as they've homeschooled their-collective-eight children. I have watched my nieces and nephews blossom under the tutelage and direction of their very-present-mothers. I have seen the difference that hands-on teaching makes when a child is having difficulty in one area or another. I have been inspired by the earnestness in their voices about their homeschooling classes and groups that they are involved in. Beyond that, I have seen the life lessons being taught that are sometimes neglected in a traditional classroom.

My boys are only two, but I want them to have that same experience - as much as they can for their age. I want them to have the structure that comes from learning at home, instead of being plunked in front of the TV for all hours of the day. I want them to learn their colours, shapes, letters and words as soon as they're ready, instead of waiting for their first day of school to begin their learning journey. I want them to have fun doing things that other creative parents are showing me they could be doing by now. I want them to play with things that don't require batteries and don't have flashing lights and screaming sirens. I want them to learn to sit still and listen so they're prepared for Sunday School. I want them to remember they were loved enough to be given the gift of discipline. I want them to know I cared enough to spend time with them. I want them to remember the joy of being little boys.

Already I can see a difference between the days when they have one too many kids videos on and the days where I pull out the Circle Time mats and we sing our songs and do our playing exercises. I can see the light in their eyes when I pull their chairs up to the kitchen table and bring out a special craft or activity they've never tried before. I hear their new words and see the way they share so well with other kids in the nursery at church. I see them becoming more purposeful in their playtime as I become more purposeful in the one-on-one time I spend with them.
I love how it makes me feel as a mother when I become a part of their lives instead of just trying to get through the crazy days. And as much as I want them to remember the joy of being little boys, I want to remember the joy of being their mother.

1 comment: