Sunday, October 25, 2009

Potty-training TWINS; a lesson in differences

Do I do it at the same time or one at a time? Do I wait until they're both ready or just grab the one who looks like he'll go for it and focus on that one? Do I do rewards and stickers or praise? Do I use pull-ups or big boy underwear? Do I have myself committed to the pscyh ward today or tomorrow? AHHH!!!!

I researched. I read. I surfed the internet on all the twin sites for advice. I wondered "when". When is the best time? Are they ready? Is ONE of them ready? Am I even ready??? I worried and stressed and worried some more... and then one day I came home with a pile of tighty-whiteys and Sam wouldn't take them off. Well! Decision made. Two weeks before their second birthday Sam has decided that diapers are not for him. Stickers? Doesn't care. Reward treats? Never tried it because he doesn't care. After a few tutorials, he now just hops on, hops off, washes hands and out the door he goes. Ooookaaay then.

Ben? Oh, well Ben runs screaming in the other direction if he's even presented with a pair of big boy underwear and don't even get me started on sitting him on the potty; I can't even get him to bend into a sitting position! SOOooooo not ready.

I'm reminded, yet again, at how different the boys are. I should have known; what works for one has never worked for the other. And so, with that in mind, I started the sticker charts anyhow. I know that Sam could care less most of the time about getting a sticker for his efforts - he sometimes looks at it as just one more thing standing in his way before he gets to exit the bathroom and go play - but I know that BEN will need it. And so we do it anyhow so that, when he's ready, Ben will get his motivation and reward.

I love their differences. I love that they aren't two halves of a whole, but two very different little guys with two very different minds. And I LOVE that, right now, I'm only running one kid to the potty at a time and only changing one set of diapers. What a treat that is for me. So, thanks Sam, for making that decision so your dear ol' mommy doesn't have to have herself committed over a silly little thing like potty training. Maybe we'll save that one for the day you guys learn to drive.

3 comments:

  1. Too funny! What's going to happen when one is done napping and wants the other one awake to play? Ooops, sorry for bringing that one up! :) One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh believe me - we're there already. There is always one lonely guy downstairs calling for the other one or running upstairs to yell from the other side of the baby gate. Sam, of course, just gets right out of his crib and goes into Ben's room if we aren't in full "lock-down" mode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT'S HILLARIOUS!!!

    I love those twins! When are there birthdays again? November?
    Ahhh...those little cuteys! The one thing I love about your blog is that you're so funny while you teaching a life lesson to the boys.
    By the way, check my blog. I have something on there for you :)

    ~Meggers~

    ReplyDelete