Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Trikes





Well I love a bargain. Thrift stores, garage sales, second hand shops, hand-me-downs, all of it. I just love it. Sometimes it's the bargain itself but a lot of the time it's the thrill of finding something you were actually looking for and not expecting to find. Terry and I had been looking for trikes for the boys (hopefully two that were very similar so there would be less to fight about) but were not looking to have to spend a great deal of money TIMES TWO if we didn't have to. Now, as purveyors of kijiji, we know we don't ever have to. One never has to buy retail unless one specifically wishes to. We did not wish to.
I was actually at V-squared (as Heather calls Value Village - home of great deals, cool finds and lots of junk to wade through to get to it. I, of course, love it there. Anyhow, I was actually looking for a potty book for the boys (and found it, thanks for asking) and just flashed through my mind how I would love to find a trike for the boys to share and then hopefully come across another similar one somewhere else. Not two seconds later, I rounded the corner to find two MATCHING red and white trikes for the low, low price of $6.99. WHAT???? In my glee, I just about knocked a woman over, scrambling to lean over the carts clogging up the aisle to wrestle one into my buggy before anyone else could see the incredible find hidden away under all those laundry baskets and '80's exercise equipment. Truthfully, not many people are likely to be in the market for two matching toddler bikes but still, I had a moments panic before they were both safely ensconced in my cart.
A little bolt tightening and the white touch-up paint I picked up from the hardware store on the way home and they'll be good as new. Now, that's a deal. $6.99? ? ? You can't beat that. But I have to say, much as the thrill of the find and the bargain I scored hit the spot, the sight of those two boys desperately trying to reach the pedals (not succeeding) and the excitement of driving it backwards using their tippy-toes on the ground (succeeding) beat the bargain by a mile. They've thoroughly examined every bolt, screw and wheel spoke, stood on them and rode them, swapped them and flipped them and have been as excited about them as if I had special ordered them, outfitted them with all the gadgets and gone into debt over them. They love them. Now THAT's what makes a good deal; when you take something that should be expensive, get it for an outrageously low price and find the experience of having it renders it infinitely priceless.

2 comments:

  1. Aw! We'll have to get together and have a triple-boy-trike-party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute!

    Awwww! I wish (like my mom) we could get together soon!

    I just can't wait to see them!!

    Hey, we just got back from vacation if you were wondering!

    Love you!

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete