Friday, May 15, 2009

Cheating

Well, they say confession is good for the soul. We'll see.

So the 100-mile challenge started today. I'm very enthusiastic about it. I have purchased my stock of local foods to get us through until we can go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday. I've been emailing the participants encouraging gung-ho missives to keep the spirits high. I've cheated already.

Oops. Did I say that out loud? Yeah. It's true. Day One and I may have partaken in one small, teeny weeny, mint smoothie chocolate square. GASP!! I know. It's astonishing how quickly good intentions can fall by the wayside. The thing is, it was a Mother's Day gift so how could I, in good conscience, let it go to waste? I just didn't have enough room in me to gobble up that last one yesterday. In light of the fact that it was a gift, eating it was really the honourable thing to do.

Yeah, I know that argument has a thousand holes in it. So NOW, about 4 hours late, the challenge truly begins here. Truly. That was it for cheating. I feel sufficiently guilty enough to get motivated into taking the next half hour and cleaning my cupboards of all non-local items and box them up far, far away from the kitchen.

But at least, while taking the boys for a walk this morning, I did, in fact, pass up the pear from Argentina. That's good, right?

I think I have to say though, my only real consolation in the midst of my fallen state is that, about 1 hour ago I received an email from one of the pastors who is also doing the challenge; it was something about a weak moment and a tub of Moose Tracks ice cream. Well, you know what they say about confessions...

1 comment: