Thursday, May 14, 2009

One More Day

Well it's almost here. Less than 12 hours and the 100 Mile Challenge is ON! I'm not going to lie to you, it's been a binge-fest today of all the things we won't be consuming for the next 3 months. I'm planning to squeeze in one last pop, a banana, and maybe even some pineapple if I'm not too full. I know, I know, it totally defeats the purpose of the thing if I consume 3 months worth of non-local food before this whole thing begins.

I have to tell you though, I'm already much more aware of how far our food travels. Today I took the boys for a walk and, as usual, picked them up an apple for the way home (a major treat for them) and myself a pear. I looked at the sticker on the pear - which we can grow right here in season - and it was from Argentina. Seriously??? A plane, truck, boat, something, had to travel all the way from Argentina just so I could have a pear when I felt like it? It's eye opening.

Am I only going to eat 100% local food when this is all over? Will I become a locavore convert to the extreme? Not likely. But I might just change a few habits and perhaps be just a bit more aware about choosing an Ontario or even Canadian option when deciding between two similar products. And maybe, just maybe, I'll do without something I have an urge for and choose something in season instead. Who knows?

Stranger things have happened.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, you're hilarious.
    Your words actually tempt me to do it but alas, Terry gets the groceries and he hardly can stand a list. It shouldn't be to difficult to pay attention to locally-grown stuff though.

    ReplyDelete